New Munich Trench British Cemetery

New Munich Trench British Cemetery ©Loyal Poppy Crosses 2015

New Munich Trench British Cemetery
©Loyal Poppy Crosses 2015

Beaumont-Hamel was attacked again and taken on the 13th November 1916, by the 51st (Highland) and 63rd (Royal Naval) Divisions.

Munich Trench was occupied by the 51st (Highland) Division on the 15th November 1916; New Munich Trench was dug on the previous night by the 2/2nd Highland Field Company and a company of the 8th Royal Scots, and lengthened by the 8th Devons in December.

The cemetery was made by the V Corps in the spring of 1917, when their units cleared the battlefield, and it was known also as V Corps Cemetery No.25.

There are now nearly 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, almost 20 are unidentified. All fell in the period November 1916, or January 1917.

Regiments and Battalions represented in the cemetery are

  • Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
    • 7th Battalion
  • Bedfordshire Regiment
    • 6th Battalion
  • Border Regiment
    • 2nd Battalion
    • 3rd Battalion
  • East Lancashire Regiment
    • 8th Battalion
  • Highland Light Infantry
    • 4th Battalion
    • 5th Battalion
    • 13th Battalion
    • 16th Battalion
    • 17th Battalion
  • Lancashire Fusiliers
    • 15th Battalion
  • Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
    • 10th Battalion
  • Manchester Regiment
    • 20th Battalion
    • 22nd Battalion
    • 24th Battalion
  • Royal Berkshire Regiment
    • 1st Battalion
  • Royal Fusiliers
    • 10th Battalion

The cemetery covers an area of 404 square metres and is enclosed by a low stone wall.

Reference: 

Commonwealth War Graves Commission. New Munich Trench British Cemetery. Available at http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/30900/NEW%20MUNICH%20TRENCH%20BRITISH%20CEMETERY,%20BEAUMONT-HAMEL